Google recently made a change to their search engine algorithms which now factor how “mobile friendly” a website is as a ranking factor. This reason alone justifies why responsive design must be considered when building or updating a website. Basically, a website needs to be usable on all mobile devices – whether it be a smartphone, tablet or laptop. What does that mean? Elements of your website have to be configured as follows:
- text must be readable without requiring zoom
- there must be adequate space for tap targets
- there should be no horizontal scrolling.
It is no longer acceptable to just have a shrunken version of a desktop site on your phone. The number of smartphone users internationally will surpass 2.4 billion in 2017 and over 60% of searches now come from a mobile device. A mobile responsive website is no longer optional! The way we build websites to be usable on multiple devices is known as Responsive Web Design.
In the past, more than one site was built in order to accommodate different screen sizes. Responsive web design creates a system for a single site to react to the size of a user’s device – with one URL and one content source.
A responsive website has a fluid and flexible layout which adjusts according to screen size. It offers an optimized browsing experience. Basically, your website will look great and work well on a desktop (or laptop), a tablet, and a mobile phone’s browser.
Responsive design is important for business because it allows for:
- increased reach to customers and clients on smaller devices (tablets & smartphones)
- a consistent experience that can increase lead generation, sales and conversions
- consolidation of analytics, tracking and reporting
- decreased time and cost on site content management
- staying ahead of the competition because 44% of Fortune 500 companies are not mobile-ready at this time!
Make no mistake about it; the Google-recommended configuration for smartphone-optimized sites is responsive web design.
Premier Web Solutions Inc. can build a mobile site for you, or take your existing site and make it mobile responsive. Talk to us about your project and request a quote HERE